LG Nexus 4 is the forth generation and also the latest Google Nexus device. It comes with Android 4.2 out of the shipping box. LG Nexus 4 has been released officially yesterday on Google Play Store for United States, Australia and United Kingdoms. It makes an record to sold out all Google Nexus 4 within 30mins for 16GB and 1 hour for 8GB Nexus 4. If you got an LG Nexus 4 on hand, rooting and installing custom recovery would be your first step for you to feel the joy of Android 4.2 on Nexus 4.
The android 4.2 Jelly Bean build is awesomely faster and smoother especially on Quad core LG Nexus 4 device. In order to make sure you have the full enjoyment of android, we have prepared the complete tutorial for you to install custom CWM Recovery and root as guideline.
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to LG Nexus 4 model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model – Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number
1. Windows-based PC
2. LG Nexus 4 (Purchase from Google Play)
3. Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download LG USB Driver for Windows
4. Enable Developer Options on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. How To Enable Developer Options On Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
5. Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
6. Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
7. Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
2. Download ClockWorkMod Recovery 6.0.18 for Google Nexus 4 (recovery-clockwork-18.104.22.168-mako.img, 7.8MB)
3. Android SDK 4.2 from Android Developer website. (Optional – if you follow our guide to install the LG USB Driver for Windows)
1. Make sure you have follow steps above and enable all the necessary features before start.
2. Rename the downloaded CWM recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-mako.img to recovery.img
3. Copy recovery.img to fasboot folder which appear in C:\fastboot. Connect Nexus 4 to Windows PC via USB cable (with all USB drivers installed)
4. Copy the downloaded SU_Busybox_package.zip in to your phone’s internal SD card.
5. Power off and reboot Nexus 4 into fastboot mode by pressing and hold Power + Volume Down together.
6. Unlock bootloader of Nexus 4 How to Unlock LG Nexus 4 Bootloader
7. Now, open up Command Prompt windows (To Open Command Prompt –> Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –> Enter)
8. Type cd C:\Fastboot in Command Prompt and followed by Enter.
9. Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and press Enter.
10. Press and hold the Power + Volume Up and press volume down twice to select recovery option to enter CWM Recovery.
11. In Recovery, always perform a full Wipe Data/Factory Reset. (Use Volume key to navigate in Recovery Mode)
12. Do Wipe Cache Partition – Select from the menu and select Yes to confirm.
13. Go to advanced and do Wipe Dalvik Cache — Select from the menu and select Yes to confirm.
14. From the main menu in Recovery, select the install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard, browse to folder location and select the SU_Busybox_Package.zip and click Yes to install.
15. After the installation completes, go back to recovery’s main menu.
16. Select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
17. Download root checker from Google Play to check your root status.
Enjoy your rooted Nexus 4 and custom CWM Recovery.