Samsung Galaxy S is the ancestor of the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3. It is the source of how the amazing Galaxy S2 is developed from the hardware to the design. It is the beginning of Samsung in smartphone industry whereby the Galaxy series bring Samsung to another climate in the company history. Until today, Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 still attracts the interest of developers to develop customized rom for this device. If you are using Galaxy S with stock rom, consider to venture the world of custom rom to get your device shoot up in performance and battery life.
Benefit of Rooting
By rooting your phone/tablet, you can actually perform better management of your phone. However, many are afraid of rooting since bricking of your devices will still occur if you are not follow the guide exactly. To swap away your fear of rooting, we will listed down the benefits of rooting your Android devices:
1. Full Control of Android With root access, you can alter any system files (developer level), delete annoying pre-installed stock apps (come with carrier perhaps), change Samsung boot animation (or others brand) and much more. As you can tells, you can actually alter with full access to your phone via root.
2. Backup and Restore Your Android Devices It is not a unique condition whereby your phone will getting slower and buggy after long period of usage. No matter how well you keep your phone (not installing any stuff which is not possible), it seem like the phone will still getting degraded in performance or error keep popping up. Backup the entire system to an SD card is a must so that you can restore back to the state where no errors are found. Rooting allows you to do so as with Backup App like Titanium Backup or Nandroid Backup.
3. Most Important – Install Custom Rom The ultimate goal of rooting your Android devices is to flash custom rom. Many has complaint of the bad of stock rom and one of the best solution is to flash highly-customized rom. With the installation of custom rom, you are expecting: better battery, butter-smooth performance (Jelly Bean’s slogan perhaps), and blah blah blah (all good stuff).
It’s always risky to root your device and be warned that a failure may brick your device. In order to keep your device safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model - Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number.
- Windows-based PC
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 With Gingerbread 2.3 I9000XXJW4 firmware.
- Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Samsung USB Driver for Windows and Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
- Extract Icf-root-xx_oxa_jw4-4.4-cwm3rfs.zip and Odin-v1.85.zip a folder.
- You should see Icf-root-xx_oxa_jw4-4.4-cwm3rfs..tar from Icf-root-xx_oxa_jw4-4.4-cwm3rfs.zip and Odin3 v1.85.exe from Odin_1.85.rar.
- Now, turn off your phone.
- Entering Samsung Galaxy S Download Mode by pressing and hold the Volume Down key, Home button, and Power button, followed by Volume Up button right after the screen turns on.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Launch Odin by double-clicking on Odin3 v1.85.exe. Wait until an “Added” message shown at the lower-left message box of Odin user interface.
- Once your phone is recognized, click on the PDA button and select the Icf-root-xx_oxa_jw4-4.4-cwm3rfs..tar
- Make sure the Repartition option is not checked under Options & check on Auto Reboot.
- Click Start button to flashIcf-root-xx_oxa_jw4-4.4-cwm3rfs..tar on your Samsung Galaxy S. The progress can be observed via Odin User Interface.
- Once the flashing is completed, a green “PASS” message will be shown to indicate the flashing is successful.
- Disconnect your phone now and your phone shall reboot automatically.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 has been successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed.