Samsung Galaxy S2 is the second generation of Galaxy S series whereby it push Samsung to the top in smartphone market. By then, with the releasing of more sophisticated phone in the market, its performance is considerably low as compared to new phone. One way to increase the performance on Galaxy S2 is to flash custom rom with improved battery life, highly customized settings, install 3rd party apps and so on.
So are you interested in flashing a custom rom? We have prepared the complete step-by-step tutorial on how to root and install ClockWorkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to Samsung Galaxy S2 International version GT-I9100 model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model - Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number
1. Windows-based PC
2. Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
3. Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Samsung USB Driver for Windows and Samsung Kies.
4. Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
5. Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
6. Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
1. Odin3-v1.85 (Odin3-v1.85.zip, 203KB).
Reminder: This ROM is particular customized for Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 model. Please do not try on other Samsung Galaxy S2 variants.
2. CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar (Refer to Development Page to download these right version for your S2).
i.e CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KP1-v5.1-CWM5.zip for Kernel KP1. Refer to Step 2 under Instructions to find your kernel.
1. We emphasize on backup of your personal data on phone to PC before any flashing of custom ROM.
2. First, identify your kernel version. Go to Setting –> About Phone –>Kernel Version. Download the right CF-Root file from Development page.
3. Extract the downloaded ICF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip file into a new folder. You shall get CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar file in the extracted folder.
4. Extract the downloaded Odin3-v1.85.zip file. Double click Odin3-v1.85.exe within the extracted folder to install Odin software.
5. Now, shut down your Samsung Galaxy S2. Put in download mode by press and hold Volume Down, Home button and Power button.
6. Connect your device to the computer via USB cable. You should get a message “Added!!” within the Odin software user interface on your computer.
7. Now, click on the PDA button in Odin, browse and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar file that extracted in Step 3.
8. Make sure Re-Partition check box is NOT selected.
9. After you have prepared anything before Step 9, click on Start to begin flashing the kernel on your phone.
10. When the flashing is completed, you should get a PASS message in Odin user interface.
Your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed. You may start to target a buttery smooth Jelly Bean rom for your Galaxy S2.