Samsung Galaxy S3 no doubt the best Android phone ever in year 2012 with elegant design, large 4.8″ Super HD AMOLED display and 1.4 Quad-core processor. But yet, the official stock rom may let you down as the battery drain issue is seem to be inherited from its successor, Galaxy S2.
The tutorial below is using T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Toolkit from Xda. The toolkit is very useful and have covered all necessary tools that you need to perform root, Nanandroid backup, CWM installation, apk installation and much more. Steps below guides you how to root and install ClockWorkMod recovery (CWM) on T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999.
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 model. It will not compatible to other devices.
1. Windows-based PC
2. T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999.
3. Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
4. Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
5. Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
1. Right click on the downloaded SGS3 Snapdragon ToolKit v2.3.0.exe, and run as administrator.
2. Press Next (4 times) to continue installation.
3. Press No to skip the toolkit update checking [Check update if you use donate version]
4. Select the correct build options for T-Mobile SGH-T999 version, enter 3 and press Enter. (Check your build in Galaxy S3 Settings -> About device -> Build Number)
5. Uninstall Samsung USB Driver (Samsung Kies) if you have installed it in your PC. Skip if you do not have it on PC)
6. Press 1 and any key to continue – USB driver will be installed in your Windows PC.
7. Now, plug in the phone to PC and let Windows to complete USB driver installation.
8. All USB drivers should be installed successfully and ready to use.
9. Press any button to back to toolkit menu.
10. Type 2 and press Enter to Rooting options.
11. Type 3 and press Enter to AllINONE. This will flash Insecure Boot Image, Custom Recovery, Root, and Busybox on your Galaxy S3.
12. Phone will boot to download mode and wait USB driver to be installed to PC.
13. Samsung Odin should appear. Use the default settings with ONLY auto reboot and F.Reset Time enabled.
14. An “Added” message shown at the lower-left message box of Odin user interface.
15. Once your phone is recognized, press PDA button and locate to C:\Samsung Galaxy S3 Toolkit\Root\ and select tar file that suit your device build number. [It is obviously easy to recognize which file to select based on the model]
16. Press Open and Press start to flash.
17. Once the flashing is completed, a green “RESET” message will be shown to indicate the flashing is successful.
18. Phone will reboot.
19. Exit Odin.
20. Wait Toolkit to detect the device after reboot.
21. Once detected, toolkit will continue to flash necessary files to device.
22. Your device will reboot and now you have Galaxy S3 rooted and with CWM installed.
23. Download root checker from Google Play to check your root status.
Congratulation as you successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999.