If you have updated your Galaxy S3 to XXELL4 android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware, the previous root and CWM should disappear in the air. Not to fear, we have updated a tutorial to help you revert back to root status and with custom recovery. CWM ClockWorkMod installed. This tutorial is prepared for Germany Vodefone Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
Below tutorial is using CF Root with original kernel and stock ROM. Only the root and CWM recovery will be installed inside your Samsung Galaxy S3.
Benefit of Rooting
By rooting your phone/tablet, you can actually perform better management of your phone. However, many are afraid of rooting since bricking of your devices will still occur if you are not follow the guide exactly. To swap away your fear of rooting, we will listed down the benefits of rooting your Android devices:
1. Full Control of Android With root access, you can alter any system files (developer level), delete annoying pre-installed stock apps (come with carrier perhaps), change Samsung boot animation (or others brand) and much more. As you can tells, you can actually alter with full access to your phone via root.
2. Backup and Restore Your Android Devices It is not a unique condition whereby your phone will getting slower and buggy after long period of usage. No matter how well you keep your phone (not installing any stuff which is not possible), it seem like the phone will still getting degraded in performance or error keep popping up. Backup the entire system to an SD card is a must so that you can restore back to the state where no errors are found. Rooting allows you to do so as with Backup App like Titanium Backup or Nandroid Backup.
3. Most Important – Install Custom Rom The ultimate goal of rooting your Android devices is to flash custom rom. Many has complaint of the bad of stock rom and one of the best solution is to flash highly-customized rom. With the installation of custom rom, you are expecting: better battery, butter-smooth performance (Jelly Bean’s slogan perhaps), and blah blah blah (all good stuff).
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9300 model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model – Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number.
- Windows-based PC
- Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 with XXELL4 Jelly Bean Firmware
- Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Samsung USB Driver for Windows and Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
- With all the necessary files downloaded, extract CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip into a new folder and you will get CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar.
- Next, extract Odin3-v1.85.zip into a new folder and get Odin3-v1.85.exe.
- Now, turn off your phone.
- Entering Samsung Galaxy S3 Download Mode by pressing and hold the Volume Down key, Home button, and Power button, followed by Volume Up button right after the screen turns on.
- Now, connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Launch Odin by double-clicking on Odin3-v1.85.exe within the extractedOdin3-v1.85.zip folder. Wait until an “Added” message shown at the lower-left message box of Odin user interface.
- Once your phone is recognized, click on the PDA button and select the CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar (within extracted CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip folder).
- Make sure the Repartition option is not checked under Options.
- Click Start button to flash CF-Root 6.4 on your Samsung Galaxy S3. The progress can be observed via Odin User Interface.
- Once the flashing is completed, a green “PASS” message will be shown to indicate the flashing is successful.
- Disconnect your phone now and your phone shall reboot automatically into ClockWorkMod Recovery. The rooting will continue and your phone shall reboot again into normal mode after the rooting is successful.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 has been successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed