HTC Butterfly, as well known as HTC Droid DNA in Europe and US, is currently launched in Asia country. Right after CES 2013 event, many 5 inch smartphone like Sony Xperia Z/ZL, ZTE Grand S, Oppo Find 5 and etc are being launched. By then, the 5 inch market is getting more competitive. HTC Butterfly, however, still possess a considerably high position in the ranking whereby you can further enhanced the performance of HTC Butterfly by gain full access to the phone or other mean, rooting the phone.
Benefit of Rooting
By rooting your phone/tablet, you can actually perform better management of your phone. However, many are afraid of rooting since bricking of your devices will still occur if you are not follow the guide exactly. To swap away your fear of rooting, we will listed down the benefits of rooting your Android devices:
1. Full Control of Android With root access, you can alter any system files (developer level), delete annoying pre-installed stock apps (come with carrier perhaps), change Samsung boot animation (or others brand) and much more. As you can tells, you can actually alter with full access to your phone via root.
2. Backup and Restore Your Android Devices It is not a unique condition whereby your phone will getting slower and buggy after long period of usage. No matter how well you keep your phone (not installing any stuff which is not possible), it seem like the phone will still getting degraded in performance or error keep popping up. Backup the entire system to an SD card is a must so that you can restore back to the state where no errors are found. Rooting allows you to do so as with Backup App like Titanium Backup or Nandroid Backup.
3. Most Important – Install Custom Rom The ultimate goal of rooting your Android devices is to flash custom rom. Many has complaint of the bad of stock rom and one of the best solution is to flash highly-customized rom. With the installation of custom rom, you are expecting: better battery, butter-smooth performance, customization in term of UI and applications, apply most advance and latest software and apps on older devices, faster network speed, stable network connectivity, USB OTG (On-To-Go) and many more.
It’s always risky to modify your device and be warned that a failure may brick your device. In order to keep your device safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device. By doing this, your device warranty may void.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to HTC Butterfly model. It will not compatible to other devices. Check phone model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number.
- Windows-based PC
- HTC Butterfly
- Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download HTC USB Driver for Windows
- Enable Developer Options on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. How To Enable Developer Options On Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (Optional – Only applicable for Android 4.2 and above)
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
- Register an account on HTCDEV.
- With all the necessary files downloaded, extract Desire_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar into a folder.
- Launch the exe file within the extracted folder.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable.
- Straight to “Get Token ID” and press “Go“.
- A pop-up window will appeared in your computer. Patiently wait until the code complete run.
- Right click on the pop-up windows, select “Mark”.
- Left click to select the code started from <<<<Identifier Token Start>>>> to <<<<Identifier Token End>>>>. Right click it.
- Back to the AIO ToolKit interface, proceed to “Submit Token ID” then “Go“.
- A new windows will pop-up. Scroll down the page.
- Paste the code under “My Device Identifier Token” and “Submit“
- An email will sent to your registered email under HTCDev account.
- Download the attached file along with the email.
- Copy and paste the downloaded file to data folder within folder extracted in Step 2.
- Proceed to “Unlock Bootloader” in AIO Toolkit and “Go“.
- In your phone, you will be asked to unlock bootloader. Select Yes to continue.
- After the code complete running, your phone will now reboot automatically.
- Now, place the your ClockWorkMod in /Data/Recovery folder in Step 2. You can easily find CWM file in XDA Forum.
Your HTC Butterfly has been successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed.