Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 has been officially unveiled months ago and yet no tutorial on how to root and install Clockworkmod Recovery on it. As Galaxy S3 Mini is spec-down version of Galaxy S3, it shall deserve a highly-customized rom to further enhance the performance. May be it is the reason behind of avicohh – XDA member to release his first pre-rooted firmware for Galaxy S3 Mini. With the installation of the firmware, your device will be rooted but nothing else to be wipe.
Benefit of Rooting
By rooting your phone/tablet, you can actually perform better management of your phone. However, many are afraid of rooting since bricking of your devices will still occur if you are not follow the guide exactly. To swap away your fear of rooting, we will listed down the benefits of rooting your Android devices:
1. Full Control of Android
With root access, you can alter any system files (developer level), delete annoying pre-installed stock apps (come with carrier perhaps), change Samsung boot animation (or others brand) and much more. As you can tells, you can actually alter with full access to your phone via root.
2. Backup and Restore Your Android Devices
It is not a unique condition whereby your phone will getting slower and buggy after long period of usage. No matter how well you keep your phone (not installing any stuff which is not possible), it seem like the phone will still getting degraded in performance or error keep popping up. Backup the entire system to an SD card is a must so that you can restore back to the state where no errors are found. Rooting allows you to do so as with Backup App like Titanium Backup or Nandroid Backup.
3. Most Important – Install Custom Rom
The ultimate goal of rooting your Android devices is to flash custom rom. Many has complaint of the bad of stock rom and one of the best solution is to flash highly-customized rom. With the installation of custom rom, you are expecting: better battery, butter-smooth performance (Jelly Bean’s slogan perhaps), and blah blah blah (all good stuff).
It’s always risky to root your device and be warned that a failure may brick your device. In order to keep your device safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model - Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number.
- Windows-based PC
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190
- Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Samsung USB Driver for Windows
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Pre-Rooted Firmware (I8190XXALK6_I8190XEFALK1_HOME_rooted_by_avicohh.zip, 506MB) – Development page
- Odin3 Package (Odin3.zip, 467.6KB)
- Extract the downloaded I8190XXALK6_I8190XEFALK1_HOME_rooted_by_avicohh.zip and Odin3 file into a new folder.
- Now, shut down your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Put in download mode by press and hold Volume Down, Home button and Power button.
- On the computer, double click the Odin3.exe file (within the extracted folder in Step 1) to install the software.
- Connect your device to the computer via USB cable. You should get a message “Added!!” within the Odin software user interface on your computer.
- Now, click on the PDA button in Odin, browse and select tar file that extracted in Step 1.
- Make sure Re-Partition check box is NOT selected.
- After you have prepared anything before Step 7, click on Start to begin flashing the firmware on your phone.
- When the flashing is completed, you should get a PASS message in Odin user interface.
- First boot up normally take longer time. Please wait patiently until Samsung boot up.
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 is successfully rooted. You can now swipe away unwanted bloatware from your device. Enjoy a neat and clean Galaxy S3 Mini.