Sony Xperia Z root is available for unlocked bootloader in February and now we got another new method to root your Sony Xperia Z without unlocking bootloader / locked bootloader. Great thanks to goroh_kun who are the developer who scripted the root. Take note that this root method will cause NFC broken but fix is now available too. Check out the root tutorial after the break.
It’s always risky to modify your device and be warned that a failure may brick your device. In order to keep your device safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device. By doing this, your phone warranty may void.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to Sony Xperia Z C660X (Tested firmware are 10.1.D.0.317, 10.1.D.0.322, 10.1.A.1.350) model. It will not compatible to other devices.
- Windows-based PC
- Sony Xperia Z C660X with original Jelly Bean firmware (Tested on 10.1.D.0.317, 10.1.D.0.322, 10.1.A.1.350B)
- Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Sony USB Driver for Windows.
- Setup ADB & Fastboot Driver. How To Setup ADB & Fastboot Driver With Android SDK On Windows [Complete Guide]
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
Instructions: How To Root Sony Xperia Z Without Unclock Bootloader
- Ensure you increase the screen timeout period to 10 mins: Settings -> Display -> Sleep -> 10 mins. This is to avoid any unnecessary interruption during installation.
- Proceed to enable unknown sources/3rd party applications: Settings -> Security -> Unknown source
- Restart your pc and ensure you have close and exit all PC Suite, PC Companion, Flashtool, etc as they will interfere with the rooting process.
- Copy the downloaded zip file and extract it to C:\
- Connect device to PC with micro USB cable. If you are first time doing this, make sure you have all the drivers installed in your PC. Follow the process requirements above.
- Execute runme.bat in C:\ and device will be detected and the toolkit will proceed automatically.
- Follow instruction in the command prompt and you should see press the button to restore the data in your phone
- Go to your phone and you should see an app is launched. Select Restore data
- Go back to PC, now u should see if Restoring data is complete in the command prompt.
- Go back to device, open Phone & dial *#*#7378423#*#*
- Select Service tests in your phone operation.
- Select Display and screen will turn to white.
- Go back to PC, wait for toolkit to run the command. When it stops running, proceed to next step.
- Go back to device, press power button to turn on and off screen for few seconds and few times. Repeat it until you see the changes on command prompt.
- You should see the script continue to run transfer files to your phone part2, installing busybox,su,Superuser,etc… & Cleaning up
- Device will automatically reboot
- Your device is now rooted. Enjoy.
- This root method can be used for both locked and unlocked bootloader Sony Xperia Z.
- To fix the NFC broken problem, remove the directory /data/usf. – Thread