HTC Butterfly is official now for international and HTC shall start shipping this 5 inch 1080p smart device starting on Q1 2013. On the other hand, HTC Droid DNA has been released in United States (only available in US) for nearly a month +. If you have just lately got an HTC Droid DNA as Christmas present, probably you look forward to start unlock its bootloader as well as rooting the phone afterwards. We have prepared the very first step for you to unlock HTC Droid DNA’s bootloader.
[Update: Tutorial below is no longer working for Verizon HTC Droid DNA, refer post here to unlock]
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to HTC Droid DNA model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model – Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number.
- Windows-based PC
- HTC Droid DNA
- Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download HTC USB Driver for Windows
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
- Make sure you have installed Android SDK Manger on your PC with Android SDK Platform tools andAndroid SDK tools installed.
- Register an account on HTCDEV.
- Activate your account thru email.
- Go Here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select “All Other Supported Models” and then “begin unlock bootloader”
- Press Yes, then tick both Boxes and proceed.
- Turn off your phone by holding Power button.
- Then, switch on your phone by press and hold Volume Down key and Power button.
- Navigate to Fastboot using Volume Up or Down button and press Power.
- Now connect your phone to PC via USB cable
- Make a folder name Android in C:\Android
- Copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to C:\Android
- Open a Command Prompt (Windows logo–>type CMD in search box and enter).
- Type in Command Prompt: cd c:\Android
- Type “fastboot oem get_identifier_token” into the Command Prompt windows.
- Copy and paste the text as per step 9 on the HTCDEV website.
- Paste the identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit.
- You will receive an email from HTCDEV with “Unlock_code.bin” file attached.
- Download the “Unlock_code.bin” fileand paste it into the folder in Step 1.
- Type “fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin” into Command Prompt windows.
- Your phone display will change. Press Volume Up to accept and Power to confirm.
- You may get some error on screen or command prompt, it is normal to have such condition.
- Yes, you have successfully unlocked your phone bootloader.