Nexus 7 has had latest OTA update Android 4.1.2 with screen rotation enable with some bug fixes too. Android 4.1.2 is not a huge update but it is sweet to update. If you have rooted and recovery installed on your Nexus 7 and wish to update to Android 4.1.2 without losing root access, we have provide detail procedure for you to do it.
Tutorial below will have you enjoy the latest android 4.1.2 OTA update from Google on Nexus 7 without losing your previous root access. But please take note, updating Google android 4.1.2 OTA update will lose your installed CWM recovery. Data will remain exist. However, we will help you to install CWM recovery back to normal after update.
We have prepare a detail procedures for you to do so. Please follow carefully on every single step below.
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
1. Google Nexus 7
2. Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
3. Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
1. Voodoo OTA Keeper from Google Play
2. Root Checker from Google Play
3. GooManager from Google Play
1. Install Voodoo OTA keeper into Nexus 7 before start update.
2. Check and search for OTA update in the Settings -> About devices -> System updates
3. Make sure android 4.1.2 is available for your Nexus 7 before doing anything.
4. Run Voodoo OTA keeper, agree to proceed if ask for superuser access.
5. Make sure all the check boxes are checked [Device rooted, rot permission granted ..]
6. Press the Unroot (keeps backup) button. This will temporary unroot the Nexus 7.
7. Now, go to notification bar and select the update available notification.
8. Press Restart & Install.
9. Nexus 7 will download the file and restart automatically.
10. Once complete, go back to Voodoo OTA update to restore the root access.
11. Press Restore root.
12. Now, the device is back to root status.
13. Use Root Checker to check the root status. [Optional]
14. Turn on GooManager.
15. Goto option at the right up corner and select Install Open Script Recovery.
16. Confirm installation and proceed with Yes.
17. With for download and installation to complete.
18. Select Reboot recovery in GooManager Main Menu.
19. You should see CWM recovery installed.
20. Select Reboot now in Recovery mode and back to Nexus 7 home.