Great move from Sony who is getting more mature on the road of supporting open source development. Sony Mobile has lately release their new flash tool to ease the flashing process and more transparent and organize. When you have installed the flash tool for Xperia, you can flash standard Sony software on your unlocked Xperia device. In this beta version of tool, only 4 devices are supported, Xperia T, Xperia S, Xperia Arc and Xperia Arc S.
How To Flash Software On Sony Xperia With Sony Xperia Flash Tool
Take Note! When you flash software onto your device, your user data and content will be erased. Make sure to properly back up all information
With the flash tool for Xperia devices (beta version), you can flash standard Sony software on your Xperia smartphone, if it has an unlocked boot loader. Since this is a beta version, only a limited number of phone models and software versions are available. For more information, go to http://developer.sonymobile.com/flashtool.
- Computer: Open Emma from the Start menu of your computer.
- Connect a USB cable to your computer.
- Phone: Turn off your phone.
- Connect your phone to the USB cable while holding the flash key (for example Volume down). The flash key varies between models. For a complete key mapping, see the supported phonespage.
- Xperia™ T – volume down
- Xperia™ S – volume down
- Xperia™ arc – back
- Xperia™ arc S – back
Screenshot showing the flash tool when a phone is connected.
- Computer: Select the software you want to flash in the Service list. The tool automatically detects the phone model and lists available software versions, which are called Services in this flash tool.
- Click on Apply Service. The phone will now be flashed.
- Phone: When you have flashed your device, you can disconnectyour phone from the computer. The first time you start your device after you have flashed it, the boot-up might take a little longer than normal.