Big thanks to Chainfire for the great tool on all Samsung devices. It has been so great and download of CF-Root tool has reached over 8 million times in a year. Chainfire has released rooting tool specifically for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 named CF-Auto-Root-v1.0. CF-Auto-Root v1.0 is rooting tool for Galaxy Note 2 without custom recovery being installed. CF-Auto-Root perform only root and attempt keep the Note 2 as close as stock ROM.
The tutorial below is very appropriate to those who wanted to root their Galaxy Note 2 without installing custom ROM, custom recovery and custom kernel. CF-Auto-Root helps to install SuperSU [for root] with modified recovery and revert back to stock recovery in a smart way.
Now, we proceed with the tutorial on how to root for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100. Do see the requirements before starts.
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
1. Windows-based PC
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100.
3. Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Samsung USB Driver for Windows and Samsung Kies. (Download the latest Samsung Kies as it has been updated lately)
4. Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
5. Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
6. Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
1. Odin3-v1.85 (Odin3-v1.85.zip, 203KB)
1. Extract CF-Auto-Root-SGN2.zip and Odin-v1.85.zip a folder.
2. You should see CF-Auto-Root-SGN2.tar from CF-Auto-Root-SGN2.zip and Odin3 v1.85.exe from Odin-v1.85.zip.
If you see recovery.img and cache.img, you’ve extracted twice. Try re-extract it with winrar.
3. Now, turn off your phone.
4. Entering Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Download Mode by pressing and hold the Volume Down key, Home button, and Power button, followed by Volume Up button right after the screen turns on.
5. Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
6. Launch Odin by double-clicking on Odin3 v1.85.exe Wait until an “Added” message shown at the lower-left message box of Odin user interface.
7. Once your phone is recognized, click on the PDA button and select the CF-Auto-Root-SGN2.tar.
8. Make sure the Repartition option is not checked under Options & check on Auto Reboot.
9. Click Start button to flash CF-Auto-Root-SGN2.tar on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The progress can be observed via Odin User Interface.
10. Once the flashing is completed, a green “PASS” message will be shown to indicate the flashing is successful.
11. Disconnect your phone now and your phone shall reboot automatically into Modified Red Android Recovery mode. The rooting will continue to install SuperSU and your phone shall reboot again into normal mode after the rooting is successful.
12. Your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 has been successfully rooted and with Stock Recovery installed.
Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin “Auto Reboot” is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.