Sony released their latest flash tool today. Sony is one of the android manufacturer who is kind of open to developers. Bootloader is easily to be unlocked on Sony Xperia devices. The new flash tool is a desktop application that you can use to flash Sony software on your unlocked Xperia™ device. This is useful if you’ve for example flashed a custom ROM on your device, and want to go change to a standard Sony software.
This flash tool can only be used by Sony Xperia devices having an unlocked boot loader. For now, only a limited number of phone models and software versions are supported by this tool. The flash tool is now in beta version. The good side of having this flash tool is to easily help you to flash back to original stock firmware and different firmware to your Sony devices conveniently.
This flash tool is now available for download from official Sony development tool website. In details, Sony provides documents on how to download and install the flash tool, how to use the flash tool as well as supported phones & flash keys. We shall push out more flashing instructions for Sony Xperia devices with this flashing tool. Stay tune!!!
How To Download and Install Sony Xperia Flash Tool
The Sony Xperia flash tool is named Emma in Beta version. It is compatible to Windows PC computer.
To install the flash tool, follow the steps below:
- Download the Flash tool for Xperia devices.
- Unzip the file you downloaded and place it somewhere on your computer.
- In the unzipped folder, run Emma.exe. During the installation, make sure you remember the installation path:
- Default path in Windows 64 bit is: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Emma\”
- Default path in Windows 32 bit is: “C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Emma\”
- Copy the Customization.ini file. You find it in the <Emma zip filename>.
- Paste the Customization.ini file into the installation folder. The installation folder is the folder named Emma in the installation path examples on point 3.1 and 3.2 above.
- Click Start > All programs > Sony Mobile > Emma (if you used the default installation path from step 3 above) to start the flash tool
[via Sony Mobile]
How To Use Sony Xperia Flash Tool
- Computer: Open Emma from the Start menu of your computer.
- Connect a USB cable to your computer.
- Phone: Turn off your phone.
- Connect your phone to the USB cable while holding the flash key (for example Volume down). The flash key varies between models. For a complete key mapping, see the supported phones page.
- Computer: Select the software you want to flash in the Service list. The tool automatically detects the phone model and lists available software versions, which are called Services in this flash tool.
- Click on Apply Service. The phone will now be flashed.
- Phone: When you have flashed your device, you can disconnect your phone from the computer. The first time you start your device after you have flashed it, the boot-up might take a little longer than normal.
[via Sony Mobile]
Supported Phones & Flash Keys
In the beta version of the flash tool for Xperia™ devices, only a limited number of phone models and software versions are supported.
Please note that when you connect your phone to the computer to flash the phone, it must be turned off and you must hold the flash key listed below. Flash keys vary between models.
Supported phones and flash key mappings
- Xperia™ S – volume down
- Xperia™ arc – back
- Xperia™ arc S – back
[via Sony Mobile]