Finally the time has come to Sony Xperia X10 to taste CyanogenMod custom rom. CyanogenMod, or mostly known as CM, is one of the most popular and stable version of custom rom in the Android community. With the release of CM 10 Jelly Bean custom rom, X10 users can now upgraded their device to enjoy enhanced performance, faster and smoother tasking and improved security. As this is only the beta version, users might still experience some bugs after upgraded to CM 10 Jelly Bean and the main issues of this rom has been clarified on the bottom of the post.
Working Features of Beta CM 10 Jelly Bean Rom
- Gallery (only pictures)
- Airplane mode (when leaving airplane mode, it asks for sim code. Simply click on reject button)
- halt and reboot
- Default Camera with glitches
Benefit of Rooting
By rooting your phone/tablet, you can actually perform better management of your phone. However, many are afraid of rooting since bricking of your devices will still occur if you are not follow the guide exactly. To swap away your fear of rooting, we will listed down the benefits of rooting your Android devices:
1. Full Control of Android
With root access, you can alter any system files (developer level), delete annoying pre-installed stock apps (come with carrier perhaps), change Samsung boot animation (or others brand) and much more. As you can tells, you can actually alter with full access to your phone via root.
2. Backup and Restore Your Android Devices
It is not a unique condition whereby your phone will getting slower and buggy after long period of usage. No matter how well you keep your phone (not installing any stuff which is not possible), it seem like the phone will still getting degraded in performance or error keep popping up. Backup the entire system to an SD card is a must so that you can restore back to the state where no errors are found. Rooting allows you to do so as with Backup App like Titanium Backup or Nandroid Backup.
3. Most Important – Install Custom Rom
The ultimate goal of rooting your Android devices is to flash custom rom. Many has complaint of the bad of stock rom and one of the best solution is to flash highly-customized rom. With the installation of custom rom, you are expecting: better battery, butter-smooth performance (Jelly Bean’s slogan perhaps), and blah blah blah (all good stuff).
It’s always risky to root your device and be warned that a failure may brick your device. In order to keep your device safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to Sony Xperia X10 model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model - Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number.
- Windows-based PC
- Sony Xperia X10
- Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Sony USB Driver for Windows
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
- Xperia X10 CM 10 Custom Rom (cmx10-v3-beta.zip, 145.7MB) – Development page
- Google Apps Package (gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip)
Instructions: (From Custom ROM)
- Make sure you have follow steps above and enable all the necessary features before start.
- Do a Nandroid backup in CWM/TWRP recovery in case you need for restoration. (Optional)
- Connect your device to the computer via micro USB cable.
- Copy and paste the downloaded cmx10-v3-beta.zip and gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip files to your phone internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone and disconnect from USB cable.
- Press and hold the Power + Back Button when wild blue light appears to enter CWM/TWRP Recovery.
- In Recovery menu, you are always recommended to perform a full Wipe Data/Factory Reset to avoid crashing and ROM compatibility issue. You may skip this step if you upgrade from your previous ROM version. For CWM recovery, use Volume key to navigate in Recovery Mode. For TWRP, use touchscreen to navigate in Recovery Mode
- Do Wipe Cache Partition – Select from the menu and select Yes to confirm.
- Go to advanced and do Wipe Dalvik Cache — Select from the menu and select Yes to confirm.
- From the main menu in Recovery, select the install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard, browse to folder location and select the cmx10-v3-beta.zip and click Yes to install.
- Back to main menu in Recovery, select the install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard, browse to folder location and select the gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip file and click Yes to install.
- After the installation completes, go back to recovery’s main menu.
- Select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- For first boot up, it normally takes longer time. Please wait patiently.
Main issues of beta version:
- Native Camera Glitches in display