It seem like Samsung is preparing official update for its products recently but no words from Samsung the exact date of update. As S3 and Note 2 is currently running Android 4.1.1, we expect that these model will definitely updated to latest Android 4.2 very soon. Apart of latest products, Samsung also planning of Jelly Bean update for older devices likes Galaxy Note and S2. Unfortunately, from the information we get, only Android 4.1.2 will be ported on these model. Do not be disappointed since 3rd party Android 4.2 custom rom is available for you.
So are you interested in flashing a custom rom? We have prepared the complete step-by-step tutorial from rooting your phone, CWM installation and flashing custom rom on your Galaxy S2.
It’s always risky to root your phone and be warned that a failure may brick your phone. In order to keep your phone safe, please read carefully every single line of the tutorial and follows the steps exactly. We are not responsible for any damage to your device.
The tutorial and guide below is only compatible to Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G model. It will not compatible to other devices.
Check phone model - Goto Settings -> About Device -> Model Number
1. Windows-based PC
2. Rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G. Root and Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G .
3. Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download Samsung USB Driver for Windows and Samsung Kies.
4. Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
5. Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
6. Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
1. Jelly Bean 4.2 Firmware Package (cm-10-20121124-EXPERIMENTAL-i9100g-CODEWORKX.zip, 152MB)
Reminder: This ROM is particular customized for Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G model. Please do not try on other Samsung Galaxy S2 variants.
1. We emphasize on backup of your personal data on phone to PC before any flashing of custom ROM.
2. Once the backup is done, connect your Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer via USB cable.
3. Copy and paste the downloaded cm-10-20121124-EXPERIMENTAL-i9100g-CODEWORKX.zip and Google Apps Package files to your phone internal SD card. Reminder: Place the downloaded ROM file into internal SD card root (not in any folder).
4. Turn off your phone and disconnect from USB cable.
5. Boot your phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up key, Home button and Power button.
6. In Recovery, always perform a full Wipe Data/Factory Reset. (Use Volume key to navigate in Recovery Mode) -
7. Do Wipe Cache Partition – Select from the menu and select Yes to confirm.
8. Go to advanced and do Wipe Dalvik Cache — Select from the menu and select Yes to confirm.
9. From the main menu in Recovery, select the install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard, browse to folder location and select the Jelly Bean 4.2 CyanogenMod (CM) Firmware zip file and click Yes to install.
10. Repeat Step 9 with selecting Gapps JB files to install.
11. After the installation completes, go back to recovery’s main menu.
12. Select reboot system now to reboot the phone. The first boot up will take longer time than usual. Please wait patiently.
13. After reboot, Jelly Bean 4.2 CyanogenMod (CM) Firmware is now successfully installed in your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G.